161/syncopation
Friday, March 22, 2013 : }
Syncopation
Syn-co-pa-tion is
how he pronounces it,
emphasising every syllable carefully.
It is an English word, a musical term - the translator Shira
doesn't need to do the honours.
We sit blankly, still befuddled by this foreign term.
Syncopation?-
I have no music background.
Syncopation, he repeats,
here. Here at this part.
He sings it for us.
The SLs get it, and we play on.
Now the way I hear the piece is forever altered,
But amazingly, mind-blowingly, it sounds better.
---
It's pretty mortifying publishing the above on this blog
since I'm not exactly the poetic type, but syncopation is going under my
favourite words. It's got such a pretty ring to it. (I sound a bit nuts here
but it's beyond midnight, I just finished three rounds of fuga +yagi and two
geog essays so pardon me)
Masterclass on Monday was pretty cool with Mr Kobayashi.
Apart from the initial panicking because we didn't have time for a run-through
and he'd decided to come earlier than expected, somehow the ensemble pulled tgt
and we did pretty OK playing for the first time in front of him. K enough of
that, I feel like I'm missing the point but I think we were really inspired by
that class. Still remember my section was feeling this period of sian-ness and
we somehow lost the feel for fuga (although technically we'd all hit our high),
but think we all wanted to show our best to the conductor of the best guitar
school in Japan, I hope we did (:
It's kinda hard to say it in words here, which is weird
because I can still remember some parts of the class really well. I think I was
sort of facing this alto1 existential crisis because he literally stopped us in the middle of the song with everyone
blasting, and I kid you not, it is NOT easy to pick out the fact that our
entire section was playing the wrong score. So break time consisted of a lot of
score changes and we were all fi2dncedufb3yuvcrbw existential crisis
I've-been-playing-the-wrong-thing-and-thinking-it-sounds-so-right-whoops. (I
find the term mildly hilarious HAHA, and I think alto2 were quite amused at all
our shocked faces)
I guess the biggest difference made was to Yagibushi. I'll
rmb how the second phase changed because he said it was an echo down a
mountain, and everyone literally AHH-ed at the same time. You could practically
see the lightbulbs going 'ding' on top of everyone's heads HAHA. I think one
thing that Kevin pointed out was that subtlety does work - he changed the part
of Fuga which we used to play the loudest to the softest, to make the music
more beautiful and to highlight that part. And I'm rly glad alto1 plays more
soft parts now, so that I can hear the bass more, love their sound. C:
This is why I really love going for guitar even though it's such a bad timesapper and everyone thinks we're crazy.
OKAY anw so, it's the Friday of the March hols and I'm gna sleep soon so that I can stop pangseh-ing my fam for early breakfasts and then it'll be a work marathon tmr. I think I'm mildly-OK, REALLY- screwed for CTs but I think the next few weeks will be even more of a challenge, balancing syc hc and d'carn. I'll try not to fall too much behind, and still keep my Sundays blocked off. (:
CHINGYING; 12:25 AM